The course will introduce students to the fundamental concepts in life sciences. The topics taught in the course are as follows.
- Evolution & Origin of Life, Theories for origin of life Darwinian selection, Diversity of Life.
- Cell structure- Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cell Structures, Functions of Organelles, Mitosis and Meiosis.
- Classical Genetics - Mendel’s laws and Patterns of Inheritance.
- Structures of Bio-molecules - DNA, RNA, Protein, Carbohydrates and Lipids.
- Molecular Genetics - Overview of Information Flow in Biological Systems.
- Techniques in Cell & Molecular biology Structure and Regulation of Cellular Metabolism.
- Energy Flow - Photosynthesis, Cell Respiration, Cellular Oxidation of Glucose.
- Membrane biology - Cellular Transport and Signal Processing.
- Overview of Developmental Biology, Human physiology, Behavioral biology.