The course will introduce students to the fundamental mathematical concepts required for a program in data science.
- Basics of Data Science: Introduction; Typology of problems; Importance of linear algebra, statistics and optimization from a data science perspective; Structured thinking for solving data science problems.
- Linear Algebra: Matrices and their properties (determinants, traces, rank, nullity, etc.); Eigenvalues and eigenvectors; Matrix factorizations; Inner products; Distance measures; Projections; Notion of hyperplanes; half-planes.
- Probability, Statistics and Random Processes: Probability theory and axioms; Random variables; Probability distributions and density functions (univariate and multivariate); Expectations and moments; Covariance and correlation; Statistics and sampling distributions; Hypothesis testing of means, proportions, variances and correlations; Confidence (statistical) intervals; Correlation functions; White-noise process.
- Optimization: Unconstrained optimization; Necessary and sufficiency conditions for optima; Gradient descent methods; Constrained optimization, KKT conditions; Introduction to non-gradient techniques; Introduction to least squares optimization; Optimization view of machine learning.
- Introduction to Data Science Methods: Linear regression as an exemplar function approximation problem; Linear classification problems.